A schematic explanation of the processes for the current subsidized agro inputs sales under the GES scheme operated by the Federal Government.
The Growth Enhancement Support Scheme is the governments scheme aimed at
•Improving agriculture productivity and food security
•Reducing cost of Agro-Inputs delivery to farmers by ensuring transparency and efficiency The program is funded by the Federal Government of Nigeria, IFDC and USAID.
E-wallets : A voucher in a text format recieved on a mobile phone by registered farmer that entitles the bearer of the text access to buying discounted inputs ( fertilizers, seeds and chemicals) for a limited period of time. The farmer therefore buys inputs directly from independent agro dealers who verify they are registered farmers with the government and have recieved a voucher on their "e-wallet". Note that the mobile device used becomes the wallet which should contain the voucher (sms) that allows you to buy at 50% discount.
Agro-Dealers : They are registered dealers with the government after fulfilling a set of requirements. Approximately 2-3 dealers in each Area Council
Eligible Farmers : These are farmers who have registered under the on going farmer registration exercise. The mobile phine numbers of this farmers are obtained and stored in the database and used as the raw data for developing the e-wallet. Their farms should be smaller than 3 hectares Passport photographs 18 and above. At each Agro dealers shop, the government has an agent stationed by the sales point, with helpline staff from the communication provider (Cellulant) along with monitoring teams from interested and involved NGOs.
- Farmers that recieve a voucher in their e-wallet arrive at the centre
- The codes that make up the voucher is presented to agro dealer
- Helpline staff teach farmers how to redeem their inputs by texting their voucher number to a specific code e.g. text voucher number to 437 (MTN) 438 (Etisalat) etc.
- Farmer sends his voucher through text message and agrodealer gets alerted via text message
- The message authorizes agrodealer to sell inputs
- Agrodealer sends back text message to confirm sales and update database of how many farmers attended to.
- Verification call back or text back is carried out by Cellulant to the dealer and the phon of the government agent stationed st the centre
- Farmer pays money to dealer and claims his inputs
Do you think you have a brilliant and innovative idea or software thst can improve this process ? Get in touch with us.
Courtesy of Kabir Onimisi Ademoh
Youth Agro Entrepreneur Communication Officer